Student Safety and Checkout Practices for BNHS
Student safety is our primary concern for Bobcat Nation.
We believe that student safety, attendance & accountability are all important.
Request Early Release For Your Student
- Students will NOT be checked out after 3:10 PM (8th period) without prior written notice given to the Front Office personnel.
- Please email your early release request to ByronNelsonHS@nisdtx.org or your student may bring a note from you on the morning of the day they require early release. The student should personally hand the note written by the parent/guardian to the Front Office personnel, & wait to receive their pass.
- Since we cannot call or page students in their classrooms, the student is expected to show the teacher the dismissal pass and leave class at the appropriate time. Our practice is to limit students’ cell phone access during instructional periods, so please communicate in advance.
- If making a release request in person, you will be asked to send ByronNelsonHS@nisdtx.org an email at that time. Once we have confirmed your information with what we have on file for your student, a pass will be delivered. Please understand it will take time to retrieve your student from class.
- We cannot accept phone calls requesting early release
- All parent emails must be received from an email address that we have on file.
- If you choose to email us, a pass will be prepared, & waiting in the Front Office for your student to pick up during passing periods or during their lunch period. Please be aware that due to the volume of emails we receive, there may be a delay in preparing a pass for your student. Please send emails as early in the school day as possible. We will reply to your email as soon as possible.
- Definite & satisfactory identification (i.e. driver’s license or picture ID) shall be required during the checkout process of the person authorized to take a student from school. You will show your ID to the camera, state your student’s name, & wait outside. Once a staff member signs out your student, they will meet you outside the entrance. Please do not return to your vehicle until your student joins you outside the entrance. If you return to your vehicle, your student will not be released.
- Anyone picking up a student, other than a parent/guardian, must be listed as an Emergency Contact in the student’s file. We must receive written parent/guardian authorization each time.
- In the event of an emergency, the student’s principal & attendance personnel will be notified to approve release. A follow-up written note/email from the parent is expected to confirm the emergency.
- If you are picking up your student during their lunch, athletic or PE period, please have a way to communicate to them that you have arrived to pick them up.
- Currently, visitors with proper ID & an appointment are allowed on campus. The campus prohibits delivery or drop-offs of meals, technology, & personal items, such as gym clothes (the only exception is in the event of a medical need).
We are not able to disrupt a classroom to get your student for checkout purposes through the use of telephone or intercom.