Student Safety and Checkout Practices for BNHS
Student safety is our primary concern for Bobcat Nation.
We believe that student safety, attendance & accountability are all important.
Request Early Release For Your Student
Early Release Requests
- Students will NOT be checked out after 3:10 (8th period) without prior written notice given to the Front Office personnel.
- Please email your early release request to ByronNelsonHS@nisdtx.org or your student may bring a note from you on the morning of the day they require early release. He/she should personally hand the parent note to Attendance personnel and wait to receive their pass.
- We cannot call or page students in their classrooms, the student is expected to show the teacher their pass and leave class at the appropriate time. At this time, our practice is to limit students’ cell phone access during instructional periods, so please communicate in advance.
- We cannot accept phone calls requesting early release.
- Upon receiving an early release email request, a pass will be prepared and waiting in the Attendance Office for your student to pick up during passing periods or during their lunch period. Please be aware that due to the volume of emails we receive, we ask that you send the request 24 hours in advance. We will reply to your email once the request is processed.
- Definite and satisfactory identification (i.e. driver’s license or picture ID) shall be required during the checkout process of the person authorized to take a student from school. Please wait for your student to report to the front office.
- All students will check out in the front office, where the student will scan their ID to depart campus.
- Anyone picking up a student, other than a parent/guardian, must be listed as an Emergency Contact in the student’s file. We must receive written authorization each time.
- In the event of an emergency, the student’s principal and attendance personnel will be notified to approve release. A follow-up written note/email from the parent is expected to confirm the emergency.
- If you are picking up your student during their lunch, athletic or PE period, please have a way to communicate to them that you have arrived to pick them up.
- The campus prohibits delivery or drop-offs of meals or any non-essential items. This includes, but is not limited to: Door Dash, Uber Eats, Tiff’s Treats, floral arrangements, balloons, etc.
- All items are subject to be searched.
Byron Nelson High School is a closed campus. Student are prohibited from checking out for lunch. Please be aware if a student is checked out of school to get lunch, then checks back in, they will be issued a tardy, and may be subject to disciplinary actions.
If you choose to drop off an education-related item, please label the item, and notify your student the item is on the cart, just inside the main entrance. You will need to communicate with your student that the item is on the cart. The front office will NOT notify the student. It is your student’s responsibility to pick up their item during passing period or their assigned lunch period only. Any items that have not been picked up at the end of week, will be donated.
Money will never be an acceptable drop-off item.
Strategies for helping students
Students will not go hungry. Students can “charge” a lunch on their Aramark account. Parent/Guardian may also add funds to the student lunch account. Click here to access Online Payment instructions.
Forgotten homework/project: Parent/Guardian may take a photo of the item(s), send to the student to show to teacher as proof of completed work. It will be the teacher’s discretion to accept this method.
Please be aware if a student is checked out of school to get the item(s), then checks back in, they may be subject to disciplinary actions.
We will not disrupt a classroom to get your student for checkout purposes through the use of telephone or intercom.